Local School Council
Who Serves on a School Council?
Membership on the school governance council shall be open to principals, teachers, parents, business representatives and other such members as the school governance council may specify in its bylaws. Members of the school governance council shall not receive compensation to serve on a school governance council. Members of the school governance council shall include:
- Two parents or guardians of students enrolled in the school, excluding parents or guardians who are also employees of the school;
- Two representatives from the business community whose business is located in Buford and preferably have children attending the school;
- Two certificated teachers who are employed at least four of the six school segments at the school, excluding any personnel employed in administrative positions;
- The school principal.
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of Council Members?
The establishment of school governance councils is intended to help local boards of education by bringing parents and the community together with teachers and school administrators to create a better understanding of and mutual respect for each other's concerns and share ideas for school improvement. School governance councils shall represent the community of parents and businesses.
The members of the school governance council are accountable to the constituents they serve and shall:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues;
- Regularly participate in school council meetings;
- Participate in information and training programs;
- Act as a link between the school council and the community;
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community; and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.
Current School Council Members:
Molly Moore, Chairman
Heidi Davis, Secretary